Most of the addiction treatment programs come from the Minnesota Model. The elements which stem from the Minnesota Model normally include:
• Thorough and complete client assessment, looking at their emotional, behavioral, physical and mental aspects
• A treatment plan which is geared to personally fit each participant
• Twelve-step meetings attendance plus application of that twelve-step philosophy
• Looking at oneself and putting emphasis on increased acceptance of participant's responsibility personally, altering self-beliefs and those beliefs regarding others, which are negative, and learning new skills for coping
• Individual and group therapy (eighty to ninety percent is completed in group settings)
• Support from the family, education and participation
• Outpatient support and follow up which is extensive
In order to run the Minnesota Model, addiction treatment needs to be carried out with a team of professionals from various disciplines. They include counselors for chemical dependency, psychiatrists, nurses, psychologists and so forth. The model's purpose is to allow individuals that are addicted to gain a substantial transformation in their basic way of thinking, acting and experiencing emotion in relation to others and to themselves. The life alterations which result is recognized as mainly spiritual (though not in religious terms) in nature, and is linked with influences that are positive from being a part of groups.
What to expect from addiction treatment programs?
Centers dedicated to drug rehabilitation are there to address one's specific problems. There exists a reason as to why drug use was started and why addiction resulted. These problems will be addressed, plus new stressor coping skills will be learned, rather than turning to drugs.
A majority of addiction treatment facilities are located in peaceful locations with beautiful, green lawns, a large roaming area which allows for that needed concentration on becoming a healthy person away from the stressors and city anxiety.
Some addiction treatment centers provide their participants with activities such as fishing, horses, boating and sports. By including these various types of activities on the drug treatment center's premises, participants can have security and support which is necessary for their improvement. They are also able to alter their lives by partaking in these offered activities which are dedicated to staying active and fit.
It may be a requirement that you take classes or join lectures which discuss drug addiction's different aspects. These are crucial parts of treatment because they help you pour the foundation for life following your release from rehab.